04.15.07 -- MOUSETRAP

Puzzle by Brendan Emmett Quigley
"My mind is going…I can feel it…there is no question about it…my mind is going….I can feel it…Daisy, daisy, give me your answer do, I’m half crazy all for the love of you, it won’t be a stylish marriage, I can’t afford a carriage, but you’ll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two…” -- HAL, "2001: A Space Odyssey"
First you PLACECHEESEONTOSEESAW which RAISESLITCANDLE that HEATSUPTEAKETTLE. After a while the WHISTLEJOLTSDOZINGCAT who TIPSOVERAQUARIUM which FLOODSMOUSEHOLE. Next time BUILDABETTERMOUSETRAP.
This puzzlee is not fond of long quotes with no concrete source (even though one knows in this case it is a Rube Goldberg device) -- and the device described in the quote appears to be a one concocted by the puzzler (Brendan Emmett Quigley) himself, so there really is no clue other than the puzzle‘s title! I filled in three-quarters of the crossword before the "DEVICE" began to come into focus, but getting there was half the fun as I am very taken with the original Rube Goldberg cartoons. Around the country, there are many Rube Goldberg aficionados, contests and conventions from which faux Goldberg creations emanate. Some of his imaginings have even been constructed in life-size replica.
The "fill" of the puzzle was friendly, although in the tradition of Mr. Quigley’s past constructions, not a snap. Liked such answers as MAITREDS, , CANDW, IDOTO, OOO, BREEZEBY, TOSIR, KNEESOCK, CDCASE, IMMIX, (QB Grossman) REX.
Thought HAL (56D “2001” computer) made an appropriate appearance, being the ultimate Goldberg sci-fi creation -- think about it!
Above: 56D HAL, Goldberg postage stamp. Below: Rube Goldberg drawing ("A simple way to open an egg, etc.") and Rube Goldberg.,
Rube Goldberg (1883-1970) was a Pulitzer Prize-winning political cartoonist and trained engineer. He became most known for his whimsical drawings of "Rube Goldberg machines" — devices that are exceedingly complex and perform very simple tasks. College students from around the nation pay homage to Goldberg annually through the Rube Goldberg Machine Contest. A regional event and the national competition are held annually at Purdue University. (Photo courtesy Rube Goldberg Inc.)

2 comments:

Linda G said...

Thanks for the link. I think I've figured out how to post a link to yours. Will get to it after I finish my last tax return.

Downloaded the acrostic. I think Don and I will have fun doing it after the 17th...the acrostic, that is ; )

DONALD said...

I was told many years ago that if one can get at least four of the "words defined" that one has a chance -- if not, it might be a little rough!

Hope you like the acrostic -- even though it is a bit time consuming!

I think the key to blogging about the puzzle or whatever you intend is to just write whatever is in your mind in your own style without any regard to who cares -- that's what I do anyway!

Tell Don I think Don is a really good name!

Get those taxes done!