Thursday, December 30, 2010
Puzzle by Joe Krozel, edited by Will Shortz
Seven answers interrupted by a couple of black squares each constitutes the interrelated group of this thrashing Thursday crossword, with the individual segments capable of qualifying as answers to …some other crossword:
- CHAR / TERM / EMBER (12A. One in on the founding of a company)
- PLAN / TMAN / AGER (20A. Production site chief)
- WIN / ETAS / TER (27A. One getting a bouquet?)
- OPERA / TIN / GROOM (37A. Workplace where there are many openings)
- EAR / THAN / GEL (43A. Song played at the school dance in “Back to the Future”)
- FORT / HERE / CORD (50A. Officially)
- NOTRE / SPAS / SING (59A. Warning to intruders)
Other — ARM LOCKS (36D. Judo maneuvers); ATTACHES (35D. Legal cases?); GO EAST (45A. Enter an Ivy League school, maybe), kidding, right?; MONOTONY (15D. It’s all the same), for sure!; OOLONG (47A. Chinese for “black dragon”); PECANS (7D. Certain pie toppers); RENEWERS (13D. Some passport applicants); STATIN (4D. Cholesterol medication); STEVIE (23A. Wonder of note), TITTER (44D. Nervous laugh).
Five-letter — AMPLE, CALEB, ELVER (62A. Young fish that has migrated from the Sargasso Sea), EVIAN, FRERE, GRANT, HASAT, IMAGO, JAPES, LETME, NONET, NOWIN, ORMAN, PIANO, SHULS.
Short stuff — ABLE, ACOP, APIA, ARNO, ASH, ATCO, AVOW, DIGS, ENOL, EMMA, EMPT, FISC, FOOL, GAEL, JOKE (32D. One may be running over time), KIAS, KWAI, NEER, NNE, NTS, OHS, ORCA, ONTV, ORB, ORNO, OTAY, OUSE, PEAR, RAW, ROME, SLO, TNT, TROP, VISA.