Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Puzzle by Paul Hunsberger / Edited by Will Shortz
TENT in five squares serving as part of five crossing answers constitutes the main feature of this Wednesday crossword:
- PENI[TENT] (5D. Atoner) with WRIT[TEN T]EXT (25A. Transcription, e.g.)
- SHORT AT[TENT]ION SPAN (7D. What a constant channel-surfer may have) with ONE BIT[TEN T]WICE SHY (38A. Adage regarding skittishness)
- KIT[TEN T]AILS (11D. Plant with fluffy flower spikes) with GU[TEN T]AG (23A. German greeting)
- COMPE[TENT]LY (40D. With skill) with PA[TENT] (61A. Inventor’s award)
- [TENT]ACLE (55D. Arm of the sea?) with NO[T ENT]IRELY (54A. A little less than 100%)
Other — ABOLISHES (34D. Does away with), BENITO Juárez, OCTOPI (1A. Highly intelligent invertebrates), TAKE A HINT (29A. Pick up on the innuendo), TEMPLETON (46A. “Charlotte’s Web” rat), VENGEANCE (10D. “Ben-Hur” theme).
Click on image to enlarge,
or Right click and select “Open Link in New Window".
Puzzle available on the internet at
THE NEW YORK TIMES — Crossword Puzzles and Games.