Thursday, December 19, 2013
Edited by Will Shortz
Three squares containing the word OIL and three containing WATER, along with a rippled group of across separation lines in the center of the puzzle, accompanied by the entry LIKE WATER AND OIL (36A. Incompatible) as the dividing line for ten doubled-up entries, constitutes the interrelated group of this Thursday crossword. The OIL and WATER group:
- REC[OIL]S (4D. Jumps back) with TIN F[OIL] (20A. Food wrap)
- ET V[OIL]A (10D. Cry at an unveiling) with [OIL] LAMP (22A. Light for Aladdin)
- BR[OIL]ER (34A. Chicken for dinner) with T[OIL]ET [WATER] (31D. Lightly scented perfume) and HOT [WATER] BAG (43A. Soother of an aching joint)
- ICE [WATER] (50D. “L’chaim,” literally) with SEA [WATER] (62A. Brine)
- LOW [WATER] (52D. Ideal condition in which to ford a stream) with [WATER] SKI (64A. Wakeboard relative)
There are ten divided entries separated by LIKE WATER AND OIL, mixed with no relation to each other, a bit like water and oil. The bottom half of this puzzle is numbered differently in the print and electronic versions (this post follows the electronic numbering):
- CAPTAIN America / LAST PASS (1D. / 36D. Final maneuver)
- ARTICLE I / WHEELIE (2D. It gives Congress the power to declare war / Cyclist’s stunt)
- TRANCES / KEY ARENA (3D. Séance phenomena / Seattle Center Coliseum, since 1995)
- BANANAS / OUTLINES (11D. Fruit or nuts / Silhouettes)
- CLEMENT I / RAT FINK (12D. Fourth pope / Snitch)
- DEEP RED / LIBRETTI (13D. Crimson / Opera texts)
- TUBA / TODDLER (25D. Big band member / Wee one)
- SLR / TATE (26D. Camera type, briefly / London gallery)
- TRE / RIBS (27D. Numero di R’s in “arrivederci” / Razzes)
- RARA avis / MAITRE D’ (28D. Two- or four-seater, maybe)
Other — COLOR TV (18A. Living room fixture since the ‘50s), EXED OUT (15A. Canceled), Rio NEGRO (Amazon feeder), ROMANCE (4A. Woo), WAHOO (37D. Rebel yell).
Click on image to enlarge,
or Right click and select “Open Link in New Window".
Puzzle available on the internet at
THE NEW YORK TIMES — Crossword Puzzles and Games.