Sunday, March 2, 2014
“Oscar Double Features” — Puzzle by Alan Arbesfeld
Edited by Will Shortz
Combining into seven phrases the titles of fourteen well-known films that either won the Oscar for Best Picture or were nominated constitutes the interrelated group of this timely and entertaining Sunday crossword:
- BRAVEHEART OUT OF AFRICA (23A. Nelson Mandela? [1995, 1985])
- ROCKY WITNESS (30A. One giving unreliable testimony? [1976, 1985* = Nominee])
- AIRPORT TRAFFIC (53A. Reason for missing a flight? [1970*, 2000*])
- CHICAGO TAXI DRIVER (68A. Part of a line at O’Hare? [2002, 1976*])
- GOING MY WAY BABE (86A. Cheesy pickup line? [1944, 1995*])
- NETWORK CRASH (106A. Reason why all the computers are down? [1976*, 2005])
- PICNIC ON THE WATERFRONT (118A. Seaside outing? [1955*, 1954])
Other — ADORES and AHORSE, DEPALMA (6A. Director of “Carrie” and “Scarface”), DISNEY Channel (“Hannah Montana” airer), FINAGLED (63D. Achieved through trickery), ONE BY ONE (5D. Individually), PIN PRICKS (81D. Small irritations), SENNA (109D. Medicinal plant), STILL LIFE (16D. Many a hanging).
Click on image to enlarge,
or Right click and select “Open Link in New Window".
Puzzle available on the internet at
THE NEW YORK TIMES — Crossword Puzzles and Games.