Sunday, January 4, 2015
Puzzle by Finn Vigeland / Edited by Will Shortz
Five answers with "MAN" descending at the end of the entry (a partial of the adjacent entry) constitutes the main feature of this friendly Sunday crossword:
- I’M ONLY HU[MAN] (30A. “Nobody’s infallible, not even me”) with SCHUMANN 15D. “Kinderszenen” composer)
- BILDUNGSRO[MAN] (32A. Literary genre of “David Copperfield” or “Ender’s Game”) with PAX ROMANA
- DO YOU WANT TO BUILD A SNOW[MAN] (71A. Title song question in Disney’s “Frozen”) with AW MAN (70D. “Gimme a beak!”)
- MORGAN FREE[MAN] (110a. Academy Award winner who has played both a U.S. president and God) with LE MANS (106D. 1960s-’80s Pontiac)
- WONDER WO[MAN] (112A. Cover subject of Ms. Magazine’s debut issue, 1972) with OTTOMAN (95D. Place to kick your feet up)
Other — ABACI (74D. Summers of old?); ALE GLASS, BREW PUB and TENDS BAR (91D. Container in a 34-Down; 34D. It’s drafts may be crafts; 18D. Is a mixologist); AMAZONAS (87D. Largest state of Brazil); ASYMMETRY (82D. Feature of much modern architecture), COME ON IN (23A. Greeting at the door); CRASH PAD (85A. Friend’s couch, perhaps); DARE I ASK (46D. Hesitant start to a question), FRO YO (50D. Cold treat, informally); HERNANDO / DESOTO (52D. With 126-Across, first European to cross the Mississippi); IN THE BAG (14D. 100% guaranteed); KISHKA (89A. Stuffed Jewish dish); MACARENA (120A. 1990s craze), MDMA (21D. Drug also known as Ecstasy); OSCAR (31D. Award for Hunt and Peck); PAX ROMANA (7D Long period of stability ending circa A.D. 180); REDDIT (55D. Website billed as “the front page of the Internet”); RICE WINE (86D. Popular Eastern beverage), ROSEMARY (38A. So-called “herb of remembrance”), TERMITES (100A. What may eat you out of house and home?), XWORD (25A. Daily newspaper feature, informally).
Click on image to enlarge,
or Right click and select “Open Link in New Window".
Puzzle available on the internet at
THE NEW YORK TIMES — Crossword Puzzles and Games.