Quartz crystal cluster from Tibet ~ Wikipedia
Sunday, February 8, 2015
“Multifacted”, Puzzle by Jeremy Newton / Edited by Will Shortz
SET IN / STONE (52D. With 59-Down, permanent … or, literally a feature of the answers to the seven starred clues) along with the seven entries containing circled letters spelling out a STONE and uncircled crossing down answers spelling out "SET", constitutes the interrelated group of this pleasant but complicated Sunday crossword:
- GARNER ATTENTION (22A. Get noticed), GARNET, along with SET found in TSETSE (8D. *Biter in Niger)
- CRUISES BY (40A. Easily defeats, in sports), RUBY, along with SET in CHEESE TRAY (13D. *One making the rounds at a party, perhaps),
- PONY EXPRESS (47A. Enterprise for which a 14-year-old Buffalo Bill worked), ONYX, along with SET in LATE ONSET (6D. *Like puberty at age 16)
- GAME THE SYSTEM (67A. Exploit a loophole, say), AMETHYST, along with SET in ROSETTA (52D. “First spacecraft to orbit a comet )
- POP A WHEELIE (85A. Lean back and enjoy the ride?), OPAL, along with SET in SETTLES ON (81D. *Chooses in the end)
- WATERGATE (96A. Washington landmark that lent its name to a Senate committee), AGATE, along with SET in LEASE TO OWN (73D. *Car dealership option)
- QUARTER-SIZE HAIL (115A. Big fall from the sky?), QUARTZ, along with SET in UPSETS (99D. *Goals for underdogs).
Other — DISSING (34A. Knocking), IN A FUNK (76A. Feeling low), LIP BALMS (106A. Sticks in a purse?), NERF GUN (84D. Zombie Strike SlingFire Blaster, for one), NOT A FAN (48D. Disapproving [of]), NYMPHOS (63D. Randy types), SILENT L (51D. What always comes in halves?), SPARSITY (5D. 5D. Short supply), ULULATION (120A. Wavering wail), YUMMIER (95D. More delish).
Click on image to enlarge,
or Right click and select “Open Link in New Window".
Puzzle available on the internet at