Thursday, May 7, 2015
Puzzle by Tracy Gray / Edited by Will Shortz
GOING GREEN (59A. Reducing one’s carbon footprint … or a hint to this puzzle’s theme), along with ECO in seven squares constitutes the interrelated group of this Thursday crossword.
- S[ECO]ND NATURE (19A. Swimming or riding a bike, for most people) with SAF[ECO] (1D. Seattle-based insurance giant)
- DEUCE[E CO]UPE (23A. 1932 Ford featured in “American Graffiti”) with WILE.[E. CO]YOTE (9D. Toon foil?)
- IC[E-CO]LD (39A. Gelid) with P[ECO]S (33D. River to the Rio Grande)
- GR]ECO]-Roman with ZYD[ECO] (37D. Some New Orleans music)
- DAD]E CO]UNTY (52A. Miami area, informally) with PENT[ECO]STAL (32D. Fundamentalist Christian
- [ECO]LES (58A. La Sorbonne and others) with D]ECO]RUM (52D. Gentility)
- R[ECO]RDS (66A. Logs) with PR[ECO]OK (57D. Make beforehand, as a dinner dish)
Other — ÉMIGRÉS (46D. Some political fugitives), ENGRAM (48D. Memory figure), PIPE UP (8D. Interject), SLOOP (11D. Knockabout, e.g.), STOOGE (49D. Slapstick trio member), YAKOV Perelman, prolific Russian science writer.
or Right click and select “Open Link in New Window".
Puzzle available on the internet at
THE NEW YORK TIMES — Crossword Puzzles and Games.