05.30.07 -- ORBIT!

Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" -- with its "light show" depicting time travel.
-----------------

Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Click here for LARGE PRINT.

Puzzle by Mike Nothnagel, edited by Will Shortz
TIMOTHYLEARY (53A Speaker of the catchphrase that starts 20-, 27- and 47-Across), combined with TURNONANAXIS (20A Revolve), TUNEINTOMORROW (27A “Don’t miss the next episode…”), and DROPOUTOFSIGHT (47A Become a recluse, perhaps), combine for a neat anchor for this Wednesday special, which along with the center cross, a hep-cat-like saying HEYBABY (37A Start of many a pickup line) and ORBIT (28D Go around and around) combine to command -- “Hey baby, orbit -- turn on, tune in, drop out!“
WHEW! (1A “I’m glad that’s over!”) because I’m in a DAZE (69A Stun) -- this crossword puzzle is NSYNC (31A “Bye Bye Bye“ boy band) -- ITSTRUE (23A “Honest!”), would ILIE (54D Tennis’s Nastase) (I know, I know!) -- OK then, would I LIE (41A Tall tale) to YOU (39D “___ and whose army?”).
This puzzle is a WRY (1D Like some humor) ABOMB (22D Weapon in 1940s headlines) of a puzzle which sounded a SIREN (64A Signal to clear the road), DREW (18A Sketched) me in, and won my HEART (67A Courage) with such entries as OSKAR (9A Schindler of Schindler’s List) with MIRA (55A Actress Sorvino) (I have my own reasons) and LILYPAD (46D Frog’s perch) even though they aren‘t OLIVE (58 A Shade of green); further, I didn’t even mind such entries as TOILETS (52A Rest stop features), the usually boring KNOX (11D The “K” in James K. Polk), nor the repugnant YASIR (40D Arafat of the P.L.O.).
They're all there and more -- this puzzle is a trip in itself!
Steven Spielberg's "Schindler's List"
-----
It’s late, I should be ABED (34A Sleeping, say), getting some REM (33A Kind of sleep), so I’ll do the ENDRUN (5D Evasive maneuver) as I’ve WRITTEN (4D On paper) enough on ITNOW (23A Edward R. Murow’s See____”) -- so let’s just give it ANOD (68A Give ____ to [approve]),a ROAR (14A Sound from a 57-Down) of the LION (57D Big prowler) of approval, and a MEA (29D ____culpa) for my naked enthusiasm! Enjoy the puzzle, man! -- heed the label on the lysergic acid diethylamide like “Alice in Wonderland -- EAT (3D Chow down)!
Treat yourself to Linda G's Madness…Crossword and Otherwise. Linda was a bit leery and particularly prescient in questioning the presence of an eerie LEARY entry in yesterday’s puzzle -- hey, he was just lurking at the door, right smack dab in the middle of yesterday’s puzzle awaiting today's -- in a starring role!
Now, Mr. Shortz, will tomorrow’s puzzle give us the missing entry? -- LSD!
Above illustration by R. Crumb
-----------------
For today’s cartoons, go to The Crossword Puzzle Illustrated.
The New York Times Crossword Puzzle solution above is by the author of this blog and does not guarantee accuracy. If you find errors or omissions, you are more than welcome to make note of same in the Comments section of this post -- any corrections found necessary will be executed promptly upon verification.
Puzzle available on the internet at
THE NEW YORK TIMES -- Crossword Puzzles and Games
If you subscribe to home delivery of The New York Times you are eligible to access the daily crossword via The New York Times - Times Reader, without additional charge, as part of your home delivery subscription.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blasted computer! I just did something that caused my second post to you this week to evaporate. Poof! Monday's comment was something to the effect of thanks for Les Trois Musiciens. I have a n old silkscreen of it hanging in my living room and I always like to think of the smiling dog under the table as keeping time with his tail.

Todays gothic/illustrated is great! I was born in California at the start of The Summer of Love, but sadly (though not surprisingly) I remember nothing of it. With your blog and todays NPR story on psychadelic art (which I heard three times while driving across most of the substantial girth of the great State of Wyoming) I can relive a bit of that magic time. Trippy photos (especially R. Crumb's self portrait) and clever story. Thanks, Donald!