07.22.07 -- Casanova

Giacomo Girolamo Casanova (1725-1798) Ölgemälde von Pietro Longhi (1702-1785).
------------------
Sunday, July 22, 2007
WORST PICKUP LINES
Puzzle by David Levinson Wilk, edited by Will Shortz
23A "Pardon me, are you from the Caribbean? Because..." -- JAMAICANMECRAZY
30A "I know it's not my business, but if you were a laser..." -- YOUDBESETONSTUNNING
48A "Say, is it hot in here...?" -- ORISITJUSTYOU
66A " Sorry to bother you, but do you work for NASA? Because..." -- YOUREOUTOFTHISWORLD
85A "Excuse me, I seem to have lost my phone number -- ...?" -- CANIHAVEYOURS
102A "I don't mean to pry, but are you from Nashville? Because..." -- YOURETHEONLYTENISEE
114A "Even though we've never met, I'm sure your last name is Campbell. That's because..." -- YOUREMMMMMMGOOD
I'm no Casanova, but I can't agree that these are the worst pickup lines -- they've always worked for me! Just kidding! -- and so is this Sunday crossword puzzle with its humorous septet of Lotharioisms -- except perhaps for one "Excuse me, I seem to have lost my phone number; can I have yours!" That's the gold standard of pickup lines -- and it's not the worst by any standard! What would I know, I never had to speak -- I was chased! Uh, chaste! The image of the drooling male has always been a rather unattractive sight, and I never thought it wise to add that liability to my repertoire -- enough, this is about today's crossword! Outside of two entries in the upper left of the grid -- ALADY (2D Henry James's "The Portrait of ____") and ROMEO (3D Amorist) -- this puzzle quickly gets on to other matters.
Surely a coincidence, there are two repeats from Saturday’s puzzle -- one of them being the ROMEO clue “Amorist” (an entry clued as “Love lover” in yesterday’s puzzle), and the other MOESHA (98A Title teen in a 1990s sitcom) -- this gave me trouble even though I’d seen it yesterday -- why? There is also a Mae Shi” and I was unfamiliar with the cross, NAAN (86D Indian bread), needless to say!
Plenty of baseball in the puzzle, including 50D One OCAT (kids’ game), RBI (82A Suicide squeeze result, for short), BERRA (25A Catcher in the World Series’ only perfect game), MLB (92A Orioles’ org.), and OTTS (90D Slugger Mel et al).
COLORADO (72A Dinosaur National Monument site) may please Linda G of Madness…Crossword and Otherwise. The electronic clue for ICETEA (96A Lemonade + _____ = Arnold Palmer) is stated differently in the NYT Magazine (96A Lemonade -- _____ -- Arnold Palmer) -- there may be more differences, but I’m not going to proofread the whole damn puzzle! Most everyone SHRUGSOFF (17D Doesn’t get bothered by) these discrepancies -- well, better read Michael of Rex Parker Does the NYT Crossword Puzzle to be sure. Oh, and incidentally, ORANGE (Amy of Diary of a Crossword Fiend) will have a thing or two to say about love!
Romeo and Juliet -- Ford Madox Brown
This crossword won’t STUMP (101A Baffle) anyone, though it’s not quite a SNAP (108D Go postal) -- stay cool this July weekend -- have a POPSICLE (122A It gets a licking) while you work this easy-going and humorous Sunday diversion, all at the expense of male testosterone!
...and you know, a lot of those pickup lines work like a charm!
"The Kiss" -- Toulouse Lautrec, 1892
-----------------
For today's cartoons, go to The Crossword Puzzle Illustrated.
Puzzle available on the internet at
If you subscribe to home delivery of The New York Times you are eligible to access the daily crossword via The New York Times - Times Reader, without additional charge, as part of your home delivery subscription.

4 comments:

Linda G said...

Yes, very happy to see that COLORADO made it to the NYT puzzle. After all, Ohio's made it a number of times.

Thankfully, haven't heard all of these lines in my lifetime. Some were pretty cheesy...of course, so were some of the ones I heard!

DONALD said...

Lots of interesting things on the internet about the Dinosaur Nat'l Monument in Colorado, but I linked you instead!

Had some fun with this one!

Anonymous said...

What the heck do lemonade and icetea have to do with Arnold Palmer?

DONALD said...

Splenda put out an Arnold Palmer "edition" of lemonade ice tea -- click on link in text "ICETEA" etc. to see photo of can -- I guess he endorsed a beverage he was known to like.