Sunday, July 14, 2013
Show Me The Money, Puzzle by Daniel A. Finan / Edited by Will Shortz
In this rich Sunday crossword, the answer/clue DOLLAR$ AND ¢ENTS (65A: Money ... or a hint to how six crossings in this puzzle are to be represented, superimposing one letter over another) indicates that answers have dollar signs or cents signs in them, to be read "S" or "C" across and "I" down — crossing letters form the symbols for dollar ($) and cents (¢) with each ¢ signifying the letter I and the letter C crossing in a single square and with each $ being an I and an S — the answers that include the $ or ¢ are money-related:
- GOING LONG and CASH ON HAND (23A. Investing in a growth company; 3D. Some liquid assets)
- PENNY STOCKS and PRICE POINT (25A. High-risk investments; 16D. Spot on a demand curve)
- FISCAL / CLIFF (62D. With 58-Down, financial topic of 2012-13)
- TICKER TAPES and BOTTOM LINE (110A. Quotation sources, once; 70D. Key business figure)
- SUNK COSTS and BOND RATING (112A. Unrecoverable investment expenses; 73D. AA or AAA)
Other — AMNESIACS (4D. Ones unlikely to write memoirs?), CO-PAY (9D. Patient‘s liability), FOSTER’S 61D. Australian beer brand), JACKASS (34D. Fool), MAGPIE (13A. Heckle or Jeckle of cartoons), MARIMBAS (106A. Instruments played with mallets) MINI ME (11D. Small role in “Austin Powers“ movies), NYMPHO / MANIACS (88D. Crazies; 94D. Lead-in to 88-Down), POWER TIE 108A. Bit of corporate attire), “SAYS ME” (71A. Bully‘s coercive comeback), SACRAMENT (43D. Baptism, e.g.), STARDOM (87A. Fame), ZZ TOP (28D. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees from Texas).
It's a crime
Share it fairly
But don't take a slice of my pie
So they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a raise
It's no surprise that they're giving none away
~ Pink Floyd from the Dark Side of the Moon
Click on image to enlarge,
or Right click and select “Open Link in New Window".
Puzzle available on the internet at
THE NEW YORK TIMES — Crossword Puzzles and Games.